Subject: [Leica] Re: Catholic christening
From: Simon Stevens <simon@camera-craftsman.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 20:34:58 -0400

Thank you to everyone who took the time to pass on your expertise on this
question.  It's all been very helpful and I imagine that I might be getting
more great advice in the next digest.

I'm going to swing by the church sometime on Saturday and check out the
light.  I have done a shoot there once before but it was a couple of years
ago and I don't recall it being all that bright in there.  I found this
website with a picture of the interior.  I think you can see what I mean.
http://www.fiberstars.com/lightly_expressed/htrinity.htm  The lighting is
tungsten mixed with window light.  That's one of the reasons I want to shoot
in B/W.  Besides, I like B/W.

Rei's pictures are absolutely stunning.  Rei, you are giving me a lot to try
to live up to!  The child in this case is 5, so it will be a bit different
from yours and I won't be able to blow out the background like you can with
that Noctilux, but you certainly have given me some inspiration.

Regarding all the shoot color and ignore their rules advice, the mother is
quite excited by the idea of candid B/Ws, but I have a suspicion that
grandmother would not be adverse to a roll of posed color pictures as well.
I plan to bring the Q Flash so if they want some color afterwards, I can do
that or we can shoot outside. And what's the betting those are the ones that
get sent to the child's extended family in the Philippines!

I tried calling the church office today with no luck.  I'd like to touch
base before the day but if necessary, I'll do mark Rabiner's trick and
ignore them.  At the wedding before I recall them being somewhat snotty.
But that time I showed up with a Hasselblad and tripod.  I'm sure with a
couple of Ms I'll look less likely to disrupt things.

Thanks again!

Simon Stevens

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Catholic christening)