Subject: [Leica] RE: R8 Motor & winder question
From: "Sal DiMarco,Jr." <sdmp007@pressroom.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 08:18:14 -0400

LUGgers,
    One of the problems with the original introduction of the R8 by Leica
was the inability of Eumig (sp?) to deliver either the winder or motor
drives or the parts so, Leica AG could build them.
    Eumig eventually went out of business, and Leica had to find other
suppliers, hence the delay.
     At the 1996 Photokina when the R8 was introduced the only "motor drive"
shown was a display model locked in a cabinet and I don't remember seeing
any working winders either.
    While, I do not know who makes the parts. I believe they are at least
assembled by Leica Portugal.
     Leica didn't introduce the R motor drive until late 1999. A prototype
was shown to the LHSA members who when on a special trip to Solms in April
of 1999. Another reason to belong to the LHSA!
Happy Snaps,

Sal DiMarco, Jr.
Philadelphia, PA
Web Site: http://members.fcc.net/sal.dimarcojr