Subject: RE: [Leica] Eugene Smiths problems
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 09:37:43 -0400

What I find interesting about your reaction Rob - aside from the fact that,
recognize it or not, you are walking in WES's foot prints ;-) - is the fact
that almost anything you can say about WES you can say about any number of
geniuses in any number of fields. But sticking to art, how about Vincent Van
Gogh?

Gene Smith clearly suffered from mental illness - I would assume, from
everything I've read and what I know about mental illness, that he was
bipolar (a manic-depressive), and I would further assume that the drugs and
alcohol addictions resulted from his attempts to self-medicate - which is
very often what those addictions are.

Yes, he made promises he never kept. Yes, he was unable to "finish" his
projects. Yes, he behaved like an utter lunatic in many ways, and was
horribly irresponsible - particularly in terms of providing either monetary
or psychic support to his family.

But I believe he was an artistic genius. Yes, you say, but what he produced
was "just photographs." Well, if you really believe that in your heart of
hearts - and given the quality of your work, and your dedication to your own
projects, I don't believe for a minute that you do :-) - you should probably
sell your equipment - or at least give up your own projects and go open a
studio shooting dog food cans Alpo.

I don't believe that anyone who appreciates photography, anyone with an
artistic sensibility, can look at the recent book of the 200 seminal images
from Smith's Pittsburgh project and not see many of those images as true
art, and not see Smith as one of the outstanding artists of the 20th
Century.

B. D.