Subject: Re: [Leica] Eugene Smiths problems
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 06:06:24 -0700

Rob Appleby wrote:
> In the end, they're just pictures. I wouldn't take anything photographic -
> or any photographer - as seriously as WES took himself and his own work.
The
> stories were worth doing, sure.<<<<

Hi Rob,

Operative phrase:
>>I wouldn't take anything photographic - or any photographer - as seriously
as WES took himself and his own work.<<<

He was one of my "guiding lights" in the very early days and probably as
influential as anyone in my approach to documentary photography and the
photo essays I shot for the National Film Board of Canada.

It was his in-depth approach to every little aspect of  the subject and
story which I still see influence my approach even today. It's all the
little and large details that connect the "assignment / project" to-gether
in visually telling a story in pictures.  As in the many bits and pieces
that tie the photography to-gether in "This is Our Work. The Legacy of Sir
William Osler." book.

However, one should never take themselves as seriously as Smith did
regardless of how good one is or wishes to be. The seriousness becomes ego,
then the work suffers because you can do no wrong (quite untrue) and
everyone who's respected you as a person and photographer becomes ticked off
because your seriousness / ego gets in the way of finishing what you've
started out to do. Why?

Because you have it in your mind ... (seriousness of self) ... and everyone
else is wrong in how your photography should be used and played. Which of
course is completely wrong, as we the shooters are too close to taking of
the pictures, both physically and emotionally, and quite often that clouds
our ability to see the "best work" in a shoot, be that a one day or one year
project!

I.E.: Smith's battles with editors at various magazines and unfinished
works.

He's still an icon of photojournalism photography and one to study in how to
shoot and how not to become as a person. Although it's my understanding he
never really recovered from his wounds received while covering the battle
for Iwo Jima in WW II and that had a major influence in becoming dependent
on booze and amphetamines to keep him going. Unfortunately a huge
personality changer also. :-(

And no matter how ornery and cantankerous he became he's certainly one
talented seeing photographer. His most important aspect as a photographer
was his innate ability to "SEE" content and put it on film.

Squigglies per mm wasn't a big item, as he was far more intent in the
content of the scene rather than technical sharpness of pictures by numbers.

ted

Replies: Reply from "Rob Appleby" <rob@robertappleby.com> (Re: [Leica] Eugene Smiths problems)
Message from bennett <3bennett@wanadoo.fr> (RE: [Leica] Eugene Smiths problems)
Message from "Rob Appleby" <rob@robertappleby.com> (Re: [Leica] Eugene Smiths problems)