Subject: Re: [Leica] Eugene Smiths problems
From: "Rob Appleby" <rob@robertappleby.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 12:39:13 +0200

His use of the darkroom was also a kind of drugged fixation - I'm sure he
would have been a power user of photoshop if it had been available then.

His work is pretty amazing, but on the whole his self-indulgent (and often
self-pitying) exaltation of his mission as a PJ was quite off-putting. I
remember seeing a huge retro at the Hayward in the mid-eighties, and while I
was moved at the time (I'm always easily moved!) looking back, I'd say it
was a giant paean to a bloated adolescent.

In the end, they're just pictures. I wouldn't take anything photographic -
or any photographer - as seriously as WES took himself and his own work. The
stories were worth doing, sure.

R.