Subject: Re: [Leica] Eugene Smiths problems at life
From: David Mason <dcm@pobox.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 17:37:12 -0400

"Rob Appleby" <rob@robertappleby.com> writes:

> David, tell us something about the Duke curriculum. I applied for the doc
> fund a few years back for my lansdowne road/scheduled tribes project
> together with an Indian journo friend, but didn't make it (obviously!). Am I
> right in thinking that BW is very much favoured over colour as the medium?
> What's the practical side like? I'm intrigued - my wife did a degree in
> photojournalism but I just snapped until it clicked, so I'd be interested to
> know what it's all about.

First of all, the curriculum tries not to focus the student on one
particular medium over another. The emphasis lies mainly in the
discussion of documentary projects - the student determines what
medium is best (this is for those who are receiving a certificate,
there are many who will take just one or two classes).

The photography side of the Center is really quite good. I took the
Documentary Fieldwork Seminar last semester with fellow Leica-user
Laena Wilder (http://www.wildervision.com/ - what a great teacher too)
and the class I am taking this coming semester is being taught by
(speak of the devil) Sam Stephenson, the very same Editor I mentioned
before.. the class is "Dream Street: Reading Cities and Towns Today
Through Photography" - I can't wait!

So far they do not seem to care one way or another if the student uses
B&W, Color, Leicas, or disposable cameras - whatever tool the student
feels they can best present their project is allowed. I am rather glad
that is the case too it makes the projects that much more interesting.

They usually have one or two technical classes like 'Advanced
Darkroom' and such but so far I am more interested in the more "heady"
classes, if you'll excuse my common expression.

I am still new to the program and have only recently decided that I
will go for the certificate so I will be able to tell much more as
time goes on. However, I do know that some of the programs they have
outside of the classes are quite good too. Their program to teach kids
about photography is astoundingly good (as both a social and artistic
achievement) and has produced another great book called "I Wanna Take
Me a Picture: Teaching Photography and Writing to Children" (1) -
their exhibits are also wonderful and will feature the Pittsburgh
photos sometime next year I believe. They have many grants available
as well but I am not as well versed on those at the moment.

So far I cannot recommend the Center highly enough. They do great
things for the world of Documentary studies and as a home-grown local
I am proud of the things they have done for the community.

Cheers,

Dave

(1) I must give UNC their due too - Laena Wilder just received a grant
    from them to work on a similar project with children. She has done
    this before with "underprivaledged" children and it should be very
    fulfilling to all involved.

Message from David Mason <dcm@pobox.com> (Re: [Leica] Eugene Smiths problems at life)
Message from "Rob Appleby" <rob@robertappleby.com> (Re: [Leica] Eugene Smiths problems at life)