Subject: Re: [Leica] XP2 or TCN (martini olive or onion?)
From: brad daly <bwdaly@bigfatpipe.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 23:29:16 -0500

On Friday, August 9, 2002, at 08:29  PM, eric korenman wrote:

> I have shot tons of XP2 and TCN (now portra B&W).

TCN hasn't been replaced by portra b-w, has it?  your supplier may have
stopped stocking it, as the portra stuff just plain sells like crazy,
but, as far as i can tell, TCN is still very much available.

> TCN 'dye clouds' seems finer. But skin tones sometimes are odd.
> At first blush, Portra B&W has given me better skin tones.
> XP2 seems punchier, more 'grainy', and pushs very very poorly.

anyhow, i'm in a strange minority of people who prefer TCN.  in my
experience, it's nearly grainless (kodak lists it as topped only by
techpan developed in technidol, has incredible skin tones and an
amazingly long tonal range.  it handles underexposure much better than
XP-2.  it's virtually impossible to get a completely blocked up
highlight.

i've never had the contrast problem that some people have complained
of.  i've printed similar TCN and XP2 negs and ended up with nearly
identical contrast ranges and exposure times.  the drawback, of course,
to both the C-41 films, other than their lack of archival stability, is
the fact that their masks make them really, really slow for darkroom
work.  this has been no more than a nuisance for me.  i print everything
on ilford MGIV FB warmtone, and see no significant difference between
the two films, other than just thinking i like the look of TCN a little
better.  that may be psychosomatic.

> Does underexposure help? I haven't tried.

it begins to lose some sharpness, in my experience, with lots of
overexposure.  and the negs get incredibly dense.  i rated it at 50
once, to see what would happen.  i ended up with printing times over two
minutes at f5.6.  still, though, no blocked up highlights.  i was
shooting small objects on a lightbox, and in printing, i was able to get
a teensy weensy bit of tone in the field.

- --
brad daly
bwdaly@bigfatpipe.net
http://www.bigfatpipe.net/~bwdaly
http://www.bigfatpipe.net/~bwdaly/paw.html

"I pledge allegiance to Queen Frag and her mighty state of hysteria."
	--Calvin and Hobbes

"War, what is it good for?  It's good for business."
	--Billy Bragg

Bruce Springsteen not only cares about America, he is America, and
what's even better, he understands just how fucked up it is and has
always been to be an American, the ridiculous mix of the grand and
pathetic, the painfully self-aware and the mockworthy clueless spiritual
state that has gotten us so far ahead and so sadly behind the rest of
the world.
	--Joey Sweeney