Subject: [Leica] We have our problems, but ...
From: Edward Caliguri <caliguri@rcn.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2002 11:16:15 -0400

Hi!
    I KNOW I'll take some crap for this, and I'm not writing this out of
nationalistic pride. There are plenty of things 'we', the US, does not do
right - ethically or otherwise - but there are MANY more things we do well.
    First, the country is so large, cities so populated with persons from
more ethnic backgrounds than one could imagine, all (understandably so)
wishing to hold onto their deep cultural backgrounds and beliefs. We protect
that - live and die for it, for that matter - but it presents us with the
most difficult (and new) problems any nation could face. Troubles will face
the US always, but it's how we respond that is not just important, but
imperative to our survival as a nation.
    That said (in a shorthand fashion), I think one has to look at the US
not as a whole, or even state to state - but city to city, from NY and LA
to, say Mobile AL,  Poolsville MD :-), Lewiston ME - Our roots and values
are THERE, behind the counter of the 7-11, the cop on the street, the kids
in day care and on the football field.
    Yeah, problems we've got - more than our share - but the ties that bind
us together - African, Chinese, Middle Eastern, Whatever - that make us
American - are special and unique, as well as strong. Growing up, I never
really noticed it, but when you take part in it, live and breath with these
people, it's something unique, and in the end, it's what will keep us
together - united.
    So please, I know it'll read as if I'm puking Pablum, -- but that's all
I'll write on the topic - promise!

    Thanks,
        EC