Subject: Re: [Leica] For anyone who still thinks that digital isn't really...
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2002 15:51:13 -0400

- --On Monday, August 05, 2002 09:17:01 AM -0400 Doug Lee
<drlee9@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Well, I know the D1 was based on an F5, so it is a good bet the D1x is
> also.

Hmmm. I knew I didn't imagine it. :-)

Steve's Digicams says the D1 is based on the F100.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/d1_pg4.html

DPreview says that the D1x is based "half on the F5 and half on the F100",
whatever that means.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond1x/page3.asp

We have a D1x here in our office and it definitely has the plastic (Lexan
or whatever) over metal type body that I think of as being defined by the
F100. I don't have an F5, but I'm pretty sure it is an all metal body,
without the plastic.

My only point with all this is that Nikon seems to be creating some
marketing obsfucation by naming a camera D100 when in fact it isn't based
on the film camera with the closest name -- the F100. (At least every
review of the D100 I've seen says it's based on the F80 (N80) body as is
the new Fuji S2.)

Rolfe

- --
Rolfe Tessem