Subject: [none]
From: Thomas Pastorello <etruscello@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 06:52:05 -0700 (PDT)

   Thanks for your comment, B.D.  Of course your logic
is sound about comparing oranges with oranges.  What
you might not know or remember is that last week I
reported a test between the two 35 Luxes.  I insert it
below.   Tom

   P.S. for the List:  I test not to avoid taking
real-life pictures; rather to ensure that I use the
best lens for a given real-life situation with the
best possible resulting image technically.  Content is
primary, but the total image's impact is necessarily
served by lens characteristics. Would anyone want to
be treated by even the most compassionate and talented
surgeon who is not using the best instruments for a
given type of surgery?

   Last week's test:

   I tried the following with a 35mm Summilux-M
Aspherical and a 35mm Summilux-M non-ASPH (last
version).  I used them both on an M6, on tripod, to
take the same subject matter pictures, both set at
f1.4.  In one case I used 3 statues lined up in a
diagonal to the camera/film plane, i.e., at various
distances: 3 feet, 4 1/2 feet and 6 feet.  At first
glance, the print from the aspherical looked superior.
 It had snap (more dramatic contrast).  After savoring
the prints, I came to clearly prefer the non-asph.
Why?  Please forgive my use of the word, but the
non-asph had better bokeh.  The out of focus areas
(the 2nd and 3rd statues) had a soft, clear
3-dimensional molding to them.  The same out of focus
areas in the asph print looked terrible.  Not only
harsh looking -- the images actually broke up (typical
of Nikkor lenses).  The third statue actually had a
double outline.  In terms of the total images, the
non-asph consistently beat the asph for every type of
subject matter. My own conclusion and decision has
been to not use asphs.  I enjoy the last version of
the 90 Summicron, 28 and 21 Elmarits, etc.  They have
better bokeh and do not flare.  My 24 asph flared so
badly, I traded it in. When I want more snap as well a
good bokeh from my non-asph Summilux 35 at f1.4, I
simply scan the images and elevate contrast in Adobe.
Beyond f1.4, the images already have excellent
contrast.
   For what it's worth or not worth, I share these
subjectively objective experiments with you.   Tom