Subject: Re: [Leica] For anyone who still thinks that digital isn't really...
From: "James A. Gatlin" <jagatlin@attbi.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2002 09:00:44 -0700

Comparing inventories of  DX1s and M7s and drawing a conclusion about sales
is like comparing sales of a Dodge Viper to a Corvette. New Vipers are
relatively hard to find, and usually must be placed on order for a few
months simply because they don't build very many of them... whereas... you
can walk into most Chevy dealers and drive away in a new Vette in minutes.
There are probably several thousand Vettes made for every one Viper made. I
suspect the same is true for DX1s and M7s... I don't know for sure.. but I
suspect that is the case.

The DX1s (and similar cameras) are highly highly specialized cameras, with a
very narrow and well defined market niche. Photojournalists where speed
(Viper) and transmission ease is critical, need these cameras to remain
competitive. But for the Documentary shooter, such as Tina, while time is
important, it is not critical to the point where a DX1 is needed on a daily
basis. I guess it would be neat to go downtown with a DX1, shoot some stuff,
and send them to my PC over the cell phone as I drove home.... so they would
be waiting for me when I got back 30 minutes later.... but what's the point?

Of all the shooters I know, I only know of one person who owns a DX1 who is
not an active, working daily newspaper shooter or a stringer for a servive.
And this one guy is the kind of guy who wants to be the first kid on the
block on own anything.... and BTW, yes, he also the only person I know who
owns a Viper!

Jim.. who drives a Toyota!  :-)

Replies: Reply from "faneuil" <leica_korenman@hotmail.com> ([Leica] So what ! (was : For anyone who still thinks that digital ..))
Message from "Christopher Williams" <LeicaChris@worldnet.att.net> (Re: [Leica] For anyone who still thinks that digital isn't really...)