Subject: [Leica] 135 w/goggles, w/1.25x magnifier[s]
From: "Mitch Zeissler" <zeissler@directvinternet.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2002 22:41:12 -0400

All...

Just thought I'd share some observations between the 135mm Elmarit f/2.8
with goggles and the standard 135mm framing lines [used in this case with
the 135mm APO-Telyt], both being used on a .85 M6 without anything else,
then with one 1.25x magnifier and then with two 1.25x magnifiers stacked.

I am conducting this experiment because I've been *just* missing so many of
the 135mm APO shots I have been taking lately, even with the 1.25x eyepiece
added.

Please note that I have thick glasses and your mileage may vary.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
135mm view, plain:
- - Elmarit; I just discovered the goggled 135 brings up the 90mm frames,
instead of the 135mm frames.  However, because of the higher magnification
with the goggles, it shows the same exact image coverage as the 135mm frames
do.  I never noticed that before, and I find the 90 side frame lines easier
to use in this manner than the 135 corner frame lines.  Critical focusing is
much easier to do with the goggles, though the masking of the image does not
allow for much to seen outside of the frame lines.  Metering information is
*not* affected by the goggles magnification and be seen normally.  The
Elmarit *cannot* be swapped for another lens while the Motor M or other
grips are in place, due to the goggles interfering with the grip.

- - APO; plenty can be seen outside of the frame lines, but critical focusing
is difficult.  No issue with metering information, Motor M or other grips.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Both lenses, with one 1.25x magnifier:
- - Elmarit; critical focusing improves [this is great!] and the view tightens
to exactly fill the frame lines.  Metering information can be seen, but
takes a little eye bob to determine which icon is illuminated.  With this
setup, an M7 in AE mode would assist a great deal.

- - APO; the view tightens, but still shows more than the goggled version
*without* the 1.25x eyepiece in place.  Critical focusing is still
difficult.  Metering information can be seen, but takes a little eye bob to
determine which icon is illuminated.  With this setup, an M7 in AE mode
would assist a great deal.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Both lenses, with two 1.25x magnifiers stacked together:
- - Elmarit; only the top and bottom frame lines can be seen; side frames can
located by sliding the eye from side to side.  Critical focusing is
phenomenal[!], but framing is just a guesstimate.  Metering information is
difficult to find, even with an eye bob.  With this setup, an M7 in AE mode
would almost be required.

- - APO; this view *still* shows more around the 135 frame lines than the
goggled version does plain.  Critical focusing is still difficult.  Metering
information is difficult to find, even with an eye bob.  With this setup, an
M7 in AE mode would almost be required.

Regards,

/Mitch