Subject: [Leica] URGENT: Help! M6-TTL Light Meter
From: Seth Redmore <sredmore@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 10:52:33 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all!

I apologize for not contributing anything of value
before asking for help.  I have an M6 TTL, that I have
only one lens for (the Summilux 1.4 35mm).

I love my camera to death, but, suddenly the light
meter has stopped working.  Like, no lights on the
meter.  I've had the camera for about 6 months, and it
hasn't been dropped or anything, no H2O exposure,
nothing.  Just, suddenly, no light meter.

I've changed batteries (trying 3 different sets l ;)
).  I'm using a pair of LR44's in it that all test to
1.5v

So --

a) Any hints as to what could possibly be funky?  Some
weirdness that could be "reset" myself (yes, I come
from the computer industry, and this whole mechanical
thing is a journey of discovery for me ;))

b) Failing that -- who in the SF bay area, preferably
the south bay, is a good Leica tech?  I also need a
lens cap for my Summilux (getting tired of wrapping
and unwrapping my camera, and can't find a (39? 40?
mm) lenscap).

It's only urgent because my dad is out visiting, and I
want to get some good pix of him with his (new)
grandson, and, of course, it would go all funky on me
right now.  I have a reasonably good eye for exposure,
and am doing a lot (a LOT) of bracketing, but, still.
I also have my brother fetching me a battery for an
old Sekonic light meter I found laying around, so,
that'll help... But still...

Thanks for any help or advise you can give me.  I have
no fear of opening the camera up, but, only because
I'm ignorant and have lots of tools ;) -- I'm in no
way shape or form a camera tech, but, I know how to
deal with very delicate/sensitive/clean things; so, if
there's some wiring I should check...

While I'm at it, I might as well ask -- I'd like to
get a cheap flash for it, something powerful enough to
bounce-flash, but, nothing too fancy.  I love shooting
ambient, but, with the 1.4 there are still lots of
situations where I'm unhappy with the results, and, my
wife would like a bit more consistency in the snapshot
area.

Thanks!

- --Seth