Subject: RE: [Leica] Documentary photography - pj
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2002 13:44:12 -0400

At 12:57 PM 8/1/02 -0400, B.D. wrote:

>Do you
>really think that someone paid Gene Richards to hang around with and shoot
>crack addicts for a year to produce Cocaine True, Cocaine Blue. Or that
>someone like Giles Peres gets advances on his photo books. Sure, Richards
>did some of the Cocaine work for Life, which helped him do more of it.

I forgot you had been hanging out with Gene Richards  ;-)
You are right.  There are documentary photographers who do commercial work
to pay for their own projects.  Not many, but then the exposure
possibilities for personal projects is very limited these days.  No more
Life magazine and the newspapers aren't into long-term projects.

>Certainly both you and I have our own
>drummers laying down a beat for us, and we bring our own vision to our
>projects, but the end results must be what our clients are paying for - not
>necessarily what we think would be the strongest work.

I've been very lucky in that I have complete control over the photos that
are used in most of my projects.  Not true with stock, though, where the
editors always choose the weakest photo  in the submission!

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
http://www.tinamanley.com

images available from: