Subject: RE: [Leica] Documentary photography - pj
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2002 12:16:45 -0400

At 11:55 AM 8/1/02 -0400, you wrote:
>Good for you and Ron, Tina - seriously. But one church volunteer here and
>one there is not going to change the world.

That's my point.  It already has changed the world - for the 43 families of
Estanzuela.

>But with all due respect, there
>is a difference between what you are doing, which is in reality candid
>commercial work commissioned by groups and causes trying to save the world,
>the work of a traditional documentary photographer whose work is done
>complete independently and is seen by a few people in books and a few more
>people in magazines.

Which traditional documentary photographers' work is not commissioned by
somebody?  If you want to make a difference with your photography, you have
to find a sponsor who supports your cause.  That sponsor could be a book
publisher, magazine, or NGO.  Unless, of course, you are independently
wealthy and don't have to worry about expenses.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
http://www.tinamanley.com

images available from: