Subject: RE: [Leica] M6J an improvement?
From: "Mitch Zeissler" <zeissler@directvinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 04:43:28 -0400

Rei...

Yes.  The differences are as follows:

M6J
- - Frame lines for 35/135, 50 and 90.  The 50 and 90 are both uncluttered.
- - Effective base length of 58.52.
- - Middle window on camera body is opaque without ridges.

M6 0.85
- - Frame lines for 35/135, 50/75 and 90.  Just the 90 is uncluttered.
- - Effective base length of 59.1.
- - Middle window on camera body is opaque with vertical ridges.

Other than that, they appear to be exactly alike.  The amount of patch
flare, eye relief and magnification is all the same.  I will say the M6J 50
view is nice without the clutter of the 70 getting in the way; however, that
feature is lost on me, as I do much of my framing with an accessory
brightline viewfinder, regardless of lens or body.

I have never noticed any perceived difference [or actual results on film,
for that matter] between the effective base lengths of the M6J and .85
viewfinders when using the Noct close focused and wide open, nor would I
expect to.

Regards,

/Mitch
Mitch Zeissler