Subject: Re: [Leica] 35mm Summilux-M
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 18:40:09 -0700

Peter Klein wrote:

> "Rei Shinozuka" <shino@panix.com> posted a comparison of the classic and
> ASPH 35mm Summiluxes:
>
> >  http://www.shinozuka-family.com/35summiluxen/
>
> This is great, Rei.  Thanks for posting it.  The only thing better would
> be an "available darkness" shot taken with both lenses.

The little boy's face at the bottom left seems to be jerking faster to
the right into the windows more then he is on the right jerking a bit
slower in the other direction. That's what I'm seeing.

Also the shot on the left of the little boys face he is facing into the
windows more and that is why the face and head is so much lighter.

But when you also have softer; from faster subject movement you've got
the difference in look between a modern lens and a totally uncoated one.
Which of course is more than the actual reality of the test.

Also this is an intensely high flare situation.
A shifting of the weight of the photographer; his breathing or a
subjects subtle move can influence the flare going into the lens shot by
shot.

I bet if you shot a whole role in this setup from each lens you could
easily find a pair in which a darker sharper face was done by the older
glass and a lighter washed out softer face was done with the modern lens.
That's how I see it.

What does Rei say?

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA