Subject: RE: [Leica] LHSA Annual Meeting; half-price membership for newLUG members! L....
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 10:44:45 -0400

Damn, this LHSA dispute is a hoot - certainly the most entertaining thread
of the summer. Let me see if I understand it:

The organization is static, and largely made up of a bunch of old crocks,
who sooner or later will shuffle off to Solmes In The Sky.

In order to suck in new blood, a couple of board members came up with the
hardly original idea of offering discounted dues - for a fixed period - to
new members, just as virtually every organization out there does at one time
or another.

And in response to this perfectly normal proposal, long time members of the
organization say:

They are being ripped off;

New members will join just for the discount even though they won't
understand what the organization is about;

Letting new members in at a discount is screwing the old members, so, by
logical extension, let's not do it and let the organization wither and die
instead.

What a hoot!
:-)

B. D.