Subject: Re: [Leica] LHSA Annual Meeting; half-price membership for newLUG members! L...
From: "Steve LeHuray" <icommag@toad.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 10:43:51 -0400

> Dick thought giving a big fat $25.
> inducement to LUG members not yet LHSA members to attend the Portland meeting
> and meet and mingle with present members would strengthen LHSA not only in
> membership numbers and increased revenue that in turn would permit us to
> improve even further our publications and meetings (photo shoots as well as
> the annual), but also to bring "new blood" into our ranks and to broaden our
> membership base.
>
> What a wonderful understanding of the running of a volunteer membership
> organization.
>
> Seth                LaK 9
> --

Just to offer my .02c. I think the LHSA could be doing a better job on
marketing/promoting for new members. The LUG could be a vehicle for LHSA
news and happenings. For example, at the recent Spring LHSA Shoot in
Baltimore not a single word was posted in advance which could have attracted
many LUGers from Philadelphia to Washington, DC. And what about the
gatherings that are organized by LUG individuals, ie, NYC LUG meeting, the
LUG meeting I organized in January in Washington, DC, the LUG meeting every
month that Kyle organizes in Philadelphia, the regular calls for a LUG
meeting in Boston, San Francisco and Los Angeles. Seems like missed
oportunities.

Why couldn't the LHSA start chapters in Boston, NYC, Mid-Atlantic, Los
Angeles, etc, etc. I am sure that would generate new members if there were
regular events scheduled. Camera technical sessions, shoot sessions, guest
speakers, and so on.

Have been a member for four years but have not made the annual conference
yet, will try to make Portland this year.

sl