Subject: Re: [Leica] M6TTL Battery Cover
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2002 19:52:32 -0700

Gary Marklund    wrote: Subject: [Leica] M6TTL Battery Cover

> We spent the weekend in Laguna Beach. At dinner Saturday evening I shot a
few
> pictures of my wife and then after walking back to the hotel, I went to
the
> balcony to make some of the ocean. No LED! No battery cover and no
battery.
> Spare battery, yes. Cover, no. Not a nice end to a great day.
>
> I haven't seen this problem mentioned here so don't know if this Is a
common
> problem or a fluke. Should I carry a spare? The camera is only about two
> months old. If I cannot get one from my local dealer tomorrow, what is the
> fastest way to get a replacement? I need it by Friday. Help!

Hi Gary,
This battery cover thing does happen and it has been discussed on the
screen. Those who own M whatever's are aware of it and have used various
means to ensure it stays tight. I just tap it with a nail file stuck in a
cover groove and give it a gentle smack with something strong enough to
cinch it tight. And have never had any come loose.

Now I'm using M7's and the covers lock in, one still must make sure they set
the cover on properly after installing the batteries to ensure the locks
catch properly.

If your local guy doesn't have a cover in stock, not likely,  and you need
it by Friday, ask him to order it by phone while you're standing there
making sure he does it immediately. Then have it shipped by Fed Ex to him,
your home or office. Sure it's a shame to spend the money, but if you need
the camera urgently then it's Fed Ex. Unless you make a half dozen calls to
various dealers in the area. Seems like a terrible waste of time though, as
it can all be handles in one call!

But it'll get you one before Friday.
ted