Subject: Re: [Leica] Pascal's "Girlie Guy"
From: Teresa299@aol.com
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2002 01:14:29 EDT

In a message dated 7/27/02 8:39:52 PM, allanwafkowski@mac.com writes:

<< Teresa299@aol.com wrote:
> You mean glamour shots or....?

Have you ever noticed that there is absolutely nothing glamorous about
glamour shots?

Allan >>

I think "glamour" is an ill-defined subject area.

Most "glamour" shots bring to mind cheesy images of women, typically shot by
guys who are using their cameras (typically looooong zooms or primes) as
excuses for and extensions of their genitalia.

So if that's the definition of glamour, I'd agree and say there's nothing too
glamourous about those shots.

On the other hand, if you look to the definition of glamour photography as
being romanticised or illusory alluring images...then that includes certain
fashion photography, and a good number of photographers who neither shy away
from sexuality or the human (often female body) as a means of photographic
expression.  There are fetish photographers (steve diet goedde, derek
ridgers), fashion photographers (jeanloup sieff, dominque isserman),
old-fashioned glamour photographers (william mortensen, bunny yeager) and
even hollywood portrait photographers (Hurrell  and Willinger) who I would
consider to be good examples of creating glamour/glamourous shots.

- -kim

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com> (Re: [Leica] Pascal's "Girlie Guy")