Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: M7
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 11:45:24 -0700

david degner wrote:

>>> While I love hearing this good news that the M7 works like a dream It
> makes me question a few things.  Everyone(except for when Tina
> described how she metered for the child in the doorway) has said that
> the aperture priority, when left alone produces perfectly metered
> images.  The real question is, are the perfectly metered images a
> reflection of what you had in your head at the time you were shooting.
<<<<<

Hi David,
I don't think, pre-conceive reflect anything that way, because in 99% of
shooting my projects things are happening very quickly in all kinds of,
near no light, to bright lights of an operating room, darkened hallways,
shadows or whatever. So there really isn't time to :

>> The real question is, are the perfectly metered images a reflection of
what you had in your head at the time you were shooting. <<<<<

And unequivocally, and here I'm repeating myself, roll after roll through
the M7 is frame after frame on the mark beautifully printable. How does the
camera do that and is the Leica metering technology some how better than
others? I don't have a clue. Nor do I care, as long as it does whatever it
is that it does to give me consistent properly exposed negatives without any
thought process about exposure. Leaving me total concentration on focus and
composition.

If you're thinking of buying one, get it! Don't fiddle wondering exposure
"how does it?" throw in a roll and walk about shooting whatever turns you on
and I bet every frame will be right on the mark, if you don't start thinking
about it and analyzing everything. Shoot because the scene looks good!

And if you don't like the way it works and the results sell it! There are
lots of buyers out there waiting for the M7. :-)
ted