Subject: [Leica] re: using leica's in the middle east
From: "kyle cassidy" <kcassidy@asc.upenn.edu>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 12:18:42 -0400

>I will be in the United Arabian Emirate (Dubai) in August for work and
>would like to hear some comments from people having already been there.
>
>Any special problem/care with leica gear because of the heat ? sand? glare?
>Any special care for photographying in Dubai? (It is probably not
>recommended to photograph national woman?)

While i haven't been to UAE, i was recently in Cairo where my Leica.filled
up with sand as though i were using it for a bucket to transport the stuff.
I got some scratched film out of it. And the rewind crank made grinding
sounds until i took it apart (after i got home). My camera bag still has
sand in it. I think the heat will bother your film long before it bothers
your camera. Don't leave it out in direct sunlight. As for taking photos of
people, it depends on who they are and where you are. You may find yourself
surrounded by college professors and engineers who have relatively Western
thinking, or you may find yourself surrounded by farmers who are much more
conservative. You can always ask first, "Mumpkin?" while holding up your
camera. They'll let you know.

and you can always read the Leica M Travel Photography FAQ:

http://www.asc.upenn.edu/usr/cassidy/leicaslacker/plug/travelfaq.html