Subject: [Leica] Re:Has anyone stacked the magnifiers...?
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 13:43:04 -0700

At 09:57 AM 7/21/02 -0700, John Straus <Mail@SlideOne.com> wrote:
>1) Can anyone who wears glasses comment on what framelines you can see with
>the 1.25x mounted on a .72 & .85 body?

I see a little less of the frame than Leica says I should, both with and
without the magnifier.  It's probably because I have deeper eye sockets and
longer eyelashes than the mythical average person.

I use a .72x M4-P.   I finally received my viewfinder this week.

* When NOT wearing glasses (wearing contact lenses):  Without the
magnifier, I can see the 35mm frame.   I can't quite see the entire 28mm
frame, even when I mash my eyelashes up to the finder, there's something
missing.  I have to move the camera a little (not just my eye) to see the
whole frame.

With the magnifier, I can just barely see the 50mm frame.  I lose one
corner or one edge (about the width of the frame line) unless I shift my
eye about a little.  This may or may not be worth it in dim light for the
added focusing accuracy.

**  With glasses and no magnifier, I lose a significant sliver on one side
of the 35mm frame.  The 50mm frame is fine.

Either with or without glasses, the magnifier makes it significantly easier
to focus with the 90, particularly when what I'm focusing on is small.  It
seems well worth it for me, because I like 90 and 85mm lenses.  The jury's
still out on whether I'll use it with the 50 or not.  For some people with
less deep-set eyes, the magnifier may make using the 50 more pleasurable as
well.  Sort of like having an M3 for your 50, 75 and 90, and an M2,4,5 or 6
for 35 and smaller.

Hope this is useful.

- --Peter Klein
Seattle, WA