Subject: [Leica] Test images from Nikon 8000 and Epson 3000
From: Darrell Jennings <darrell_jennings@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 06:54:19 -0700 (PDT)

I have now tried a workflow change in printing
suggested on the LUG and HUG for upsizing/scaling the
print size, and it seems to work quite well, but I am
still getting grainy results...First an explanation of
the print scaling process...there are actually two
ways to do print scaling  in Photoshop 7,

1. Select "Image" then "Image Size", uncheck
"Resample", change the document size to the widith and
height that you want.  Photoshop then doesn't resample
at all, and it changes the resolution in pixels per
inch to what ever it falls to based on the pixels in
the original scan vs. the desired print size.

2. Select "File", then "Print with Preview", and use
the "Scaled Print Size" feature...simply key in the
size you want.

I've tried printing both of the above ways and they
appear to deliver the same results.

I am still getting really poor print quality even with
the 4000DPI 16bit Nikon 8000 scans and printing at
less than an 8X10 (for square images I'm printing at
7.5X7.5 inches, for 35mm printing at about 5.5X8.  The
issues tend to be noise in the shadow areas and in the
sky.  So as long as I only shoot landscapes with
nothing that has a shadow or sky showing I am fine;-(
Gotta be a better way....

My set up (again) is a Windows XP computer, 2.26Ghz, 1
Gig RAM, 240 Gig of disk space, connected via parallel
port to an Epson 3000 running Generations inks with
Profiles.  Papers used are ConeTech Photo Matte (seems
to give the best result), Hahnamule Photo Rag, and
Wells River.

The Epson 3000 is about 6 weeks old, has had a new
print head installed, I have confirmed that it is
printing as accurately as a 3000 will in terms of
paper feed (within a 16th of an inch at 20 inches,
well inside the Cones requirements), and has had it's
new print heads throughly alligned by the Epson tech
for those adjustments I can't make, and by me for the
adjustments I can.  I'm pretty well ready to say the
printer just won't print a quality color photograph.

I have a second 3000 that is doing well with B&W
Peizotone inks, but Peizotone and the Cones Plugin is
very different technically than the Generations with
profiles.

I have posted the original scan of the transparancy
(converted to JPEG and 300 DPI), and a scaned print
and placed them on the Leica-Gallery at
http://www.leica-gallery.net/darrell-jennings/image-30225.html
  The scan of the transparancy was done on the Nikon
Coolscan 8000ED and was used to create the print. The
print was done on the Epson 3000 on Cone Tech Photo
Matte paper (which is a very smooth surface, so the
grain you are seeing is not coming from the paper
surface).

If you look at the images you will see grain in the
shadow area on the church that is not on the scan done
from the transparancy.  Also, while it doesn't show as
much there is also a fair amount of grain and noise in
the sky on the scanned print that doesn't show on the
transparancy. I realize a scan from a print won't look
as good as a scan from film, but what I see on my
screen at home of these two images posted on
Leica-Gallery is pretty close to the difference I see
between the hard copy print vs. the original scan on
my screen sitting here at home.

Any thoughts would be appreciated....Am I expecting
too much?