Subject: Re: [Leica] Push versus Pull
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 22:09:37 -0400

There has not been that much response to your question so here goes.

Almost always pushing film throws away the shadows.  Some very few films
hold midtones as you push: the 3200's are two.  However, using the 3200's
you get an image that is dependant on shape and form more than fine
resolution and detail, you also do tend to get a contrastiy image.  So,
pushing film tends to work best where the light is really flat or where the
main subject is evenly lit.  That way you learn what to expose for and
really great images can come out of concerts and such as the spot light
provides very flat light on what it hits.

Pulling film does just the opposite: it tends to reduce contrast and fine
detail can be retained if the film is capable of resolving that detail.
What is not commonly known is that the 3200's have a native speed of between
800 and 1200.  So anything over a rating of 1000 is probably pushing the
films.

A better solution for low light is Fuji Neopan 1600.  It is a real 1600
speed film with a proper gray scale at 1600.  There are quite a few list
members that are getting really great images from this stock in Xtol at 1:3
dilution.  I know that I am getting less grain from this combination than
with FP4 at 125.  That's assuming that I hit the correct exposure.  Like
most films overexposure increases grain size.

Listen to Ted, try Neopan, and I think that if detail and grayscale are what
you want the images to have then you will be pleased.

Don
dorysrus@mindspirng.com

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com> (Re: [Leica] Push versus Pull)