Subject: Re: [Leica] re: magazines refuse digital images
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 07:05:59 -0700

kyle cassidy wrote:

>>> i was recently asked for an image by a magazine, which shall remain
> nameless, and i sent a digital. i received a note from the editor saying
> that they couldn't use the photo because it was digital. i responded "oh,
> i'm sorry, it's just a scan of a negative. i'll send you a print." i
printed
> the digital on photo paper and sent it in and they published it, i'm
> assuming, under the belief that it was a print from color neg.
>
> methinks it's just a cadre of older photo-editors who are set in their
ways,
> use the same pool of photographers over and over, and don't read the
> literature on new technolgies. they might also be used to seeing
"consumer"
> digital images <<<<

Hi Kyle,

I wouldn't be surprised at the,  > methinks it's just a cadre of older
photo-editors who are set in their ways,<<< has something to do with it. In
the olden days when 4X5 -- 2 1/4 were for magazines and ad agencies, 35mm
wouldn't be considered.

Because of this I had 4X5 and tons of Hassie stuff and.... my Leicas and
other 35 gear. When I was called on assignment I'd be told it was OK to
shoot on 2 1/4 if I didn't have 4X5. One time I asked if I might shoot 35
and the photo editor.... an old guy near choked when he commented something
about .."bloody toy things etc etec."

Fearful at loosing the assgnment I did as I was told.

However, as 35  became more popular I could see the quality I was getting
both from film & lens improvements so I slipped a shoot done with Leica and
Nikon long glass, didn't say a word about camera size and this to the same
editor. He never blinked other than a compliment of... "Now son you're
improving keep photographing like this and some day we might consider you
for staff !  Right on!   And I shot everything on 35 after that! :-)  No I
never did get a staff job I was too busy shooting all the assignments I
could handle. ;-)

He did't know the difference, hence in his mind the final product was OK and
an improvement of picture, therefore the size wasn't in question.  Sometimes
it's the old story... "what you don't know can be good for you! As long as
you like what you see!" ;-)

So I wouldn't be surprised many editors out there still think digital is
mickey mouse.

ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant