Subject: Re: [Leica] Olympic marketing for Athens
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2002 08:41:18 -0700

Don wrote:

> I have a friend who needs suggestions for approaches to hook into the
> photographic community for the Olympics in Athens.  His client will be
Kodak
> and it will obviously be commercial.
>
> So, what kinds of things would appeal to you as a tie in marketing
campaign
> for some Olympic promotion?<<<<

Hi Don,
This question isn't too clear. Is he shooting for Kodak? And if he is then
wouldn't Kodak have the answer?

If not Kodak... then the Olympic Organizing Committee will answer this for
him and then he'll find out what he can and can't do in relation to using
the Olympics without their approval..

If he's just winging something and thinking he can play on the back of the
Olympics he could find himself in very deep trouble from the Organizing
committees marketing people. Who, because it's the Olympics and
international, they keep eyes on the world for misuse of even the word
"Olympic".. read "something being done and they're not getting a piece of
the action dollar."

However, if he's shooting specifically on assignment for Kodak and they're
using his work as part of their involvement then he'd be OK, as Kodak is an
Olympic sponsor. And pay dearly for the "honour!"

But your friend should tread lightly in how and what he's going to do using
the Athens Olympics, no matter where he lives in the world.

ted

Replies: Reply from "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com> (Re: [Leica] Olympic marketing for Athens)