Subject: Re: [Leica] Steve Unsworth PAW week 27
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 19:41:26 -0700

Steve Unsworth wrote:

 >Thanks for the very kind words. The reason I've switched from Tri-X to
> slower films is that in summer (not that you'd believe that it's summer
> here in Paris at the moment - lots of rain today) Tri-X doesn't allow me
> to use the Leica glass wide open. With the Nocti wide open is where it's
> at :-)<<<

Hi Steve,
How true on switching to slower film when using the Noctilux. Even when one
thinks it's not possiblle until you try it, it's amazing where you can shoot
without pushing film to higher ratings.

I found myslef  switching to100 film with the Noctilux to appreciate it's
finer moments of image recording, certainly if one enjoys the separating
effects of the Noctilux at f 1.0.

A confession :though.  ;-) I am about to reveal a photographic moment so for
unknown.:-)  Undoubtly good friend Jim Brick will draw and qurater me for
this one.;-)I purchased a 2X ND filter to use with the Noctilux during
outside shooting! jeeeesh Jim not too hard, please. ;-)  After all I'm a
senior citizen! ;-)

Simply because when the occasion arose to use f 1.0 so it would make for
different and effective photographs with the Noctilux in very bright light.
:-) See Jim, when it's explained it's not so bad. ;-)

But using slower films makes for great blow-ups under lighting conditions
folks who've never used a Noctilux with similar light will never truly
understand. Yep they'lt think that it's a neat photo, but to see the real
light conditions one can work under with a Noctilux at f. 1.0 is truly quite
amazing..

The three girls are beautiul moments otherwise not possible with slower
aperture lenses, so when you capture something like this on slow 100 film,
it's very meaningful in realtime by available light.

The second shot is still the best. ;-)

ted