Subject: [Leica] Cook & Perkins Adapter
From: Marc James Small <msmall@infi.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 10:44:11 -0400

I recently acquired a rather interesting piece, a Cook & Perkins RF-coupled
adapter to fit Contax normal lenses to LTM.  This unit is British and dates
from around 1950;  it is magnificently made with the same engineering
overkill which marked German and British production of the era.  It is
marked in feet and focuses from infinity to 3.5 feet (just a tad over 1m).
One interesting detail is that the DOF scales go from f/0 (!) to f/11, in
the International Scale.  I have tested the adapter for the fitting of
Prewar Zeiss and Postwar Soviet lenses, and all lenses tested to date mount
without a quibble.  I have not yet tried any of my Postwar Zeiss lenses,
Jena or Oberkochen.

I also have the reverse of this, an adapter to fit LTM lenses to a Contax
RF BM.  The utility of this baffled me, as this would not allow infinity
focusing due to the greater optical registration of the Contax, but then I
realized that Zeiss Ikon had marketed enlargers before the War which used
the Contax RF BM, and that this adapter would allow the use of LTM lenses
on such an enlarger.  Leitz marketed a slew of similar adapters shortly
after the War to allow, say, a Prominent lens to be mounted on a Focomat
enlarger.

Marc

msmall@infi.net  FAX:  +276/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!