Subject: [Leica] Style and streetkids
From: "Scott Squire" <scott_squire@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 22:38:13 +0000

Howdy, Slobodan
(awfully sorry for misspelling your name)
Well, let's see what shakes out when the images are up. I have been doing
largely as you advise, with the 40mm (or the 35 on the F100) and/or the 60
most of the time. I've been trying to find my way around the bubble of a
15mm as well. I'll be awaiting comments from the moment the pics are
up--again, sometime Friday if all goes as planned. I like the picture you
linked to. I would enjoy talking more (especially this kind of
talking-with-pictures) about the wide abilities of a single focal length.
Cheers
Scott

ps, and a note to all of you who've supported me in this: I apologize for
the lapse in content's getting up on the web. The project has not been
stalled at the taking end--only at the presenting. And it won't end when I
fly home from Bucharest. Thanks again.

Slobodan wrote:

>>Hi Scott;
>I take it to mean by 'a step in the right direction' that you're
in the
process of developing a stylistic signature.
Since you education was shabbily misdirected by a zoom lens, try
using,
at best, only two lenses. A 35mm for normal usage and the 50mm
for a
telephoto, with the 50mm used very, very sparingly. Below is a
sample of
the 35mm at work. I didn't even know I had the shot until I
looked at
the negs. Human beings are extremely kinetic, even when sitting
still
for some reason. It helps to stay loose and NOT think about
anything
else other than the composition.
http://www.laweekly.com/ink/02/34/open-mikulan.php
I think the essay, in the print version, is my R8's entrance
unto the
playing field. It's finally starting to earn its keep.
The correct spelling of my first name is Slobodan, by the way.
Best,
Slobodan Dimitrov<<<