Subject: Re: [Leica] airport security kinda long. ;-)
From: Marc James Small <msmall@infi.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 15:24:22 -0400

At 06:10 PM 7/10/02 +0200, Nathan Wajsman wrote:
>So, are you implying that the Right to Bear Arms should apply on
airplanes??? Even
>taking the silly legalistic point of view, an airplane is private
property, and as
>far as I know the owner of a private property has the right to restrict
people
>from bringing in weapons onto that property, or any other items for that
matter.

>This whole debate is plain silly. Yes, security precautions are
inconvenient, but
>what is the alternative? I just flew from Zurich to Tel Aviv and back. I
assure
>you that the checks at Tel Aviv airport in particular are most
inconvenient, and
>it is certainly not pleasant having to show up 2 1/2 hour early for an 8 a.m.
>flight--but I also know that no El Al plane has been hijacked in the past 25
>years, and I am grateful for the safety. And by the way, in most airports
outside
>the U.S. the security checks are carried out by professional, properly
trained law
>enforcement officers, not minimum-wage rent-a-cops.

Nathan

Several points in response.

First, the Second Amendment "right to bear arms" applies in the sky, on the
ground, and on the territorial waters of the United States, without any
geographical restriction.

Second, the debate is not over a decision by the owners of the airplanes --
the airlines -- to restrict a pilot's bearing arms.  The debate is over the
worth of the decision by the US federal government to do so.  If the
federal government lifts its restriction, then the airlines are certainly
capable of taking any position they might wish for their employees.  (There
is substantial, but very old, case law guaranteeing passengers on 'common
carriers', such as railroads, the right to bear arms.  This is not really
on point, of course.)

Third, I believe that El Al has armed security agents on a number of its
flights or, at least, this is the story the airline puts about.  Note that
the recent murdered at the El Al ticket counter in Los Angeles was killed
by an armed El Al security guard.  I do not know El Al's policy on whether
the crew of an airplane can or should or must be armed -- but I would be
most surprised if there weren't some suitable ordnance available to the
crew of their aircraft.

Marc

msmall@infi.net  FAX:  +276/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!