Subject: Re: [Leica] Bouncing with the SF20 (long)
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 11:56:07 -0700

><Snip>  The issue is the
> strength of the flash tube.  The SF20 is pretty meek.  My old potato flasher
> is really strong.  You would need a modern Metz 45 or better, 60 series
> flash to be totally integrated with the M6 TTL sensor.  Does anyone know if
> the M6TTL will work with the Metz 45 of 60 series potato mashers?  Which
> model numbers, which "adapter" model numbers?
>
> Or use a tripod with the original set up.  KISS.
>
> Frank Filippone
><Snip>

If i may add to this one as well.
People brush off the M cameras as unusable for flash but the fact as
mentioned by Frank is that they are trying to use it with a very small
flash. These very small flashes are OK with cameras with modern super
high sync speeds and not overly slow film but as we know our options run
out quick at 1/50th of a second.

The answer is to use a medium to bigger flash which are in abundance as
any wedding photographer uses them and they are widely found in
commercial use or anywhere.

Some people talk about as a reference the latest portable flash system
which shot the latest Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue  which are
battery powered strobes which sometimes resemble studio strobes but
otherwise resemble more a wedding photographers flash. These are systems
which have to deliver a lot of light to counter blazing tropical suns
and all day with no place to plug in a cord so there is no cord but a
modular battery system.

You see the time we MOST need flash is at High Noon in the blazing
sunlight (the sun is behind them).
Some people think its most needed at midnight. :)

So you can shoot a respectable distance away even with a relatively slow
shutter speed that we have; 1/50th ...with a kick ass flash.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com