Subject: Re: [Leica] Poking my head above the parapet
From: "Michael Francis" <michael@francis-web.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 11:36:31 -0400

Ted, thanks for your kind words, unfortunately I was unable to get to a
computer for the last couple of days (and then the computer was configured
to send HTML messages.)

I like your suggestions and as I have easy access the Iron-Work-2.jpg site I
will try and shoot a couple of variations, playing with the light. I have
the following picture, which is a very different composition of a similar
subject, but is taken towards the light as you suggested.

http://www.francis-web.com/photography/Portfolio/May/Iron-Work-Epson-2450.jp

I too would have liked a longer shutter speed for the cyclist .. next time
:-)

Michael.

Michael Francis wrote & showed:

>>> I have been reading the LUG for a period of time via my work email,
which is
> essentially read (work) only. On looking at some of the moving (and some
not
> so
> moving) pictures posted to the LUG I realized that I have a lot to learn,
> but I could only start to learn by opening myself up to comment by others.
> So if you have a moment could you have a glance at these two
photographs...
> (I have pointed the URL's directly at the jpg files (which are 800 pixels
> wide) rather than the web pages)
>
> http://www.francis-web.com/photography/Portfolio/June/Iron-Work-2.jpg
> http://www.francis-web.com/photography/Portfolio/May/Cars-on-83rd.jpg

Hello Michael,
As I'm sure you're aware sometimes it takes thick skin to handle the
critique. ;-)

However, not his time.

Iron-Work-2.jpg.... The only improvement that comes to mind is, I'd have
used the light in a more enhancing manner and moved to the  " shadow side."
In other words moved away over to the left if it were possible and shot
basically the same angle only from the left, making use of the shadows
created by the sun on the fire escape.

What happens when you make this move, all the little shadows stand out and
create a greater depth to the details. It in effect becomes a form of
Rembrant lighting used in portraiture.

It's exactly the reverse of what you see here with the sun shining basically
flat on the subject without any redeeming quality, other than giving light
to make an exposure. By moving to left the light adds an enhancing quality
of shadows and is working for you.

May/Cars-on-83rd.jpg... Not much I'd change here other than maybe..... maybe
using a slightly slower shutter speed to give the cyclist a bit of more
movement for his motion. Say a one shutter speed more as you have some
slight blur now and as I said "maybe" a touch more "might help."

But then I lean toward "blurred action" for moving objects. ;-)

hope this helps.
ted
Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant