Subject: Re: [Leica] developing my own film
From: "Will" <wlarsen@ocsnet.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2002 09:53:54 -0700

http://www.ilford.com/html/us_english/pdf/Film%20Hobbyist.PD

| It is written with the beginner in mind.
|
| It might be a good idea to stick to the basics (one film,
one developer)
| until you get your routines in place. Most of the stuff on
the market is
| good, so what you choose as "one film" and "one developer"
is not such an
| issue.

That is all good advice.  The secret in starting out is to
keep it simple.  Despite what you might hear, developing b&w
film is not brain surgery.  Since I don't know where you
are, I don't know what brands are available.  I would buy
the chemicals locally since some have hazardous shipping
surcharges mail order.  The local community college photo
class uses Kodak Plus X as the film, D76 1:1 as the
developer, a indicator stop bath (a bottle will last for
years), Kodak fixer, and photo-flo.  They don't care what
you use after the first 40 rolls of film.  :)

To begin with, you might consider a Patterson tank since
they are easy to load as long as the reel is dry.

If you use the above chemicals, you will need a bucket
(available at WalMart or the ilk in the Auto section).  I
have mine marked on the outside with a Sharpie showing the 3
quart level and the gallon level.  You will also need
something non-reactive to stir the solutions.  I use a glass
rod.  You will also need several gallon-containers to store
the chemicals (easiest to buy at the photo shop where you
buy your chemicals).

For measuring using the above chemicals, kitchen product
(dedicated to the darkroom) work fine.  I find a stainless
steel kitchen instant read thermometer is fine for the
temps.  For a timer, a digital kitchen timer (such as EKCO
which measures in hours, minutes, and seconds works fine).
The rest of the equipment is pretty much as stated in the
Ilford fact sheet.  Except I wipe the photoflo off the film
between my fingers rather than using a squeegee or sponge.

I would also recommend a changing bag (then you don't need a
darkroom).  They are about $20 from Freestyle.  Use outdated
film to practice loading the reel in the light, then in the
changing bag or darkroom.  The film lid remover in the
Ilford illustration is just an old fashioned bottle opener.

Hope this helps, regards,
Bill Larsen, Terra Bella, CA