Subject: Re: [Leica] Oh man do I have problems...
From: David Rodgers <davrod@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2002 10:20:06 -0700

All good tips, Alex. I'll add another. Go light! Leave equipment behind.

For years I tended to take too much stuff, whether on a day journey or a
long trip. I force myself to take less these days. It's amazing what a
person can do with a single Leica M and one or two lenses.

When I take too much equipment I'm always second guessing myself. Which
lens? Which camera? Having fewer choices simplifies things. It doesn't
detract. It enhances. I can concentrate on seeing, not resting or adjusting
bags and/or packs. I remind myself of that every time I walk out the door.

Sometimes I think people carry a big load just to look the part of
photographer. I know I've been guilty of that, subconsciously. I'm also
guilty of going out with no real plan of what I want to accomplish,
photographically. So I throw everything but the kitchen sink in my bag. I
end up getting getting a back ache and nothing of value on film.

These days I try and plan. If something won't fit into the pockets of my
cargo pants, I don't take it.

Dave