Subject: Re: [Leica] Leicas on Tripods
From: Darrell Jennings <darrell_jennings@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 08:31:58 -0700 (PDT)

I shoot mainly landscapes and use Hasselblad and Leica
M. I also use a tripod if the light is low or if I am
using a long lens on the Hasselblad (250mm or 500mm).
I rarely use a tripod on the Leica because of the
faster lenses and shorter focal lengths (my longest M
lens is the 90mm).

My question would be why are you thinking of
eliminating the LF and MF? Leica does a great job, but
physics don't change...big negatives on a quality
camera produce a better print than little negatives on
a quality camera...

My only reason for shooting with a Leica is that
Hasselblads are a pain to haul around unless I am
doing a trip that is primarily for photography. I can
keep the Leica with me pretty much all the time, and
it is a lot more difficult to do that with a medium
format camera. If that is your reason it makes sence,
otherwise you need to think about why you want to
change.

I use M's because the weight and size difference
between a R and a 500 series Hasselblad is not enough
of an improvement in terms of what I carry around (or
haul on an airplane) to justify going to a smaller
image format...if I have to carry a big camera, it
might was well give me a big negative.

I haven't used a LF camera. I have considered going to
a 5X7 field camera, and may do that at some point.