Subject: RE: [Leica] OT, B.D. I got it. D100
From: "Sam Krneta" <skrneta@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2002 18:31:42 -0500

Mark,

I thought I pretty much summed it up in the paragraph. Most recently the
M6 has been with me on vacation, at a wedding, on two fishing trips, and
many days just sitting in my briefcase in case it's needed. Mark, I've
waited a long time to buy the M6, I never could get myself to part with
the money. Nor could I ever believe all the hype about the glass. Well
now I do know about the glass

My experience with rangefinders started with the Contax G2 which I
really loved, although there were things I found annoying with it,
mainly the auto focus and the noise of the focus mechanism. From there
it was a Minolta CLE which I traded the Contax for and from there a
trade and some additional money for the M6, since I've had the M6 it has
been my primary camera of use. Believe me it doesn't sit on the mantle
collecting dust. As a matter of fact I've put some wear on it. I decided
I wasn't going to baby it, just shoot with it as it was a keeper.

Does this mean I have to sell all my other equipment and become a
leicaholic? Do I have to bash every other brand? Some people might want
to get into that sort of thing, I'll pass. If I wanted to get into that
the newsgroups have plenty of that going on. Is owning a Leica an end
all? Well if it is for you that's ok with me, for me its not. Every
brand has its limitations and I like to have a variety of equipment. And
as I said before I am grateful that I am able to have a variety of
equipment. I go to quite a few auto events and would never think of
taking the M6. Maybe I'm not that good with it, but it's sure nice to
have that 80-200 zoom and the 4,000 shutter speed when shooting cars at
200 mph. The F5 would have been my choice, and now I think it would be
the D100.

I don't want to get into a pissing match about this stuff. Life is too
short. I have learned quite a bit here, pretty much just lurking on this
list. That's why I signed up. My post was pretty much directed at one
person, one that had discussed the merits of digital and in particular
the D100 as he was entertaining the idea of getting one. I was excited
as all hell that I got one before any of the local big boys, and even
more exited that the camera was all that I had hoped it would be. Sorry
if I ruffled a few feathers, and it was only a few. Funny the few that
spoke up never had any problems when "respected members of the photo
journalistic community" discuss the same thing. I guess I don't have
that photographer behind my name or a web site that all can go see my
work. As I said before I value the collective brain power on this list
(there's some pretty smart cookies that post here) and everything that I
had asked in my post was answered. I think that's the way it's supposed
to work. Maybe some day I might be able to return the favor.

That is the way it's supposed to work, isn't it?

And by the way I do take pictures and would be pleased to have your
comments. This is all I have ever posted to the net and it was done a
while back, my scanning abilities are a little wanting but you can get
an idea of the things I like to shoot. I have boxes of 35mm and medium
format....the time to scan is what I don't have.

http://www.photocritique.net/g/phtg?SIMO+KRNETA

Sam Krneta