Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: FOM 2/year 2
From: Alastair Firkin <firkin@ncable.net.au>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2002 08:34:01 +1000

>Hope FoM2 founder/s can review all that to free us all and get pictures with
>whatever the camera is. At last a project concerning such ambitious thing
>like THE Family of Man would have include human beings not camera brands.

Sorry Pablo,

I cannot cope with thousands of images, and the judging is hard
enough as it is. Imagine the complaints if we were choosing 100
images from 10,000 ;-)

Also, for me, I do not change boats in mid stream. I've gone with
this concept, which in reality has worked quite well so far, and will
continue to "try" to be true to it.

>Now, if our beloved Solms guy would like to gladly and freely "sponsor" the
>project we could promise them to add the red dot somewhere.

I have not taken money from anyone. This is as much because I do not
guarantee any sort of result as I do not want to have people
"worried" about corruption. Leica have a link to FOM2 on their site.
So far, that is as much support as we have had. I had hoped they
could help judge the images, and that this might help allay some of
the comments of amateurs etc, but they were not able to for year one.
Perhaps someone with influence might help me lean on them again this
year ;-)

>Otherwise the FoM2 project would going more on the way of a sort a humble
>PAW and not closer to what once used to be the original Family of Man.

The original was retrospective. Took years to complete, was the work
of a small group, who did not have to answer to anyone and who
reviewed over 2 million images. This is prospective is limited to 5
years, is supposed to be a group project with some benign guidance,
is open to all, costs nothing to enter, and is designed to be a
showcase for images taken by a diverse group of people. I hope it can
continue that way, and I look forward to more and better selections
of images.

Please do not be toooooo critical. I'd rather have help and suggestions.

Cheers
- --
Alastair Firkin

http://www.afirkin.com