Subject: Re: [Leica] <decisive moment> question on PAW ?
From: "Mārtiņš Zelmenis" <martin@lrpv.lv>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 15:50:08 +0200

Eh - actually not - I thought I saw someone wearing that suit already from
time to time! But then - my eyesight may be failing fast ;-)) M.

Bet you thought the Emperor was wearing a new suit of clothes.;-)

OK, a day later I'm adding some more  thoughts on the subject - and I am
glad I'm not exactly alone to see some content in this picture.

I can put it in other words - in photography I tend not to go for the
_obvious_ - be it beauty, event, memory - you name it.
And this picture conveys meaning that's slightly above the obvious <a drunk
& his wife at a
social gathering> to me. The bottom line is the difference in the notion of
<having good time>. I could elaborate. And because of some subtleties it <is
the kind of picture that's
worth more than a 1000 words>. Not exactly _universal_ in meaning, but it
tells me more about people than quite a few other pictures taken with the
conscious aim to show _elation_, _relaxation_, _love_ - and so on.
I admit -
the photographer might have captured this life-slice unintentionally, but
what's wrong with that? I know this is not <the picture of the year> - but
it's worth some attention.
The problem about this photo - as with lots of others - is: the author has
to prove <sustainability> of his vision, it would be bad enough if this
example would remain accidental. And in that case I'd be more willing to
stick to the dominant <thumbs down> point of view of this picture.

Martin

I must say I rather like this pic. Robs working on something here and
getting close. He hasn't quite caught the moment, but he's getting there,
and there are lots of interesting elements. As for flash, if you're going to
use it, you don't always have to hide the fact. a "natural looking" flash
shot often isn't that natural at all, in the circumstances. Sometimes it's
just good to go ahead and blast it (take a look at Martin Parr's people
shots using ringflash).

Everything about photographic representations is unnatural - it's good to
highlight that.

The highlighted "15" and the flag are important elements.

It's a good picture in my opinion (I won't add the false note "humble", as
usually, when IMHO is in there, it's usually anything but!). Keep working
along these lines and they'll get even more interesting.

tim a