Subject: Re: [Leica] FOM 2/year 2
From: "Steve LeHuray" <icommag@toad.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2002 09:46:24 -0500

Alastair and everybody else,

Just want to say that I still completely endorse FOM 2. And Alastair is
making reference (below) to me from a off-list comment that I had made to
him a few weeks ago about the final results of last Years FOM 2. I had
commented to him that i thought the judging was poor, had way to much
emphasis with pictures of kids (a full 50% of last years selections has a
picture of a kid in it) and I said to him that I thought that the first
year's selections were way too "white-bread" and because of that would fail
any critical arts revue. The only other objection I have is the 'goofy'
category titles for this year's FOM 2.

I want to make it clear that I have nothing against kids in pictures, except
in this case, with Alastair hoping for FOM 2 to evolve into a book and a
travelling exhibition, the, "oh! isn't little Mary so cute." tone will
gaurantee negative critical revue.

As far as the 'goofy' category titles, they probably should remain the same
year-to-year, last years were okay.

As for the judging, I do not know the answer, Alastair has suggested that we
volunteer to be judges, which I might consider doing if I knew more about
what is involved. The other thing about the final selections, Alastair as
Curator should understand that he has the power to overrule the judges
selections, and to make selections of his own which will help make FOM 2 a
critical success.

I want to be clear that I am 100% behind Alastair's FOM 2 and will be
sending in my submissions in a few weeks.

Regards,

sl