Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: To M7 or not to M7, c'est la question - LONG
From: Allan Wafkowski <allan@sohogurus.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 20:22:56 -0400

I am here because I own and use a Leica camera. The one outstanding
asset of Leica cameras is that they are the quietest interchangeable
lens camera I know. All the rest is myth. It is myth to believe that
modern SLRs have mirror "slap" that causes them to be less able to be
used at slow shutter speeds. MY Canon EOS 3, Minolta 5, Minolta XG-M,
Contax 137 MD, and the half dozen other SLRs I use DO NO EXHIBIT MIRROR
"SLAP". In fact, the camera that I am able to hand-hold at the slowest
speed is the hard-shooting Nikon FA with motor drive. I can squeeze out
1/4 second with that camera and have a good ratio of usable shots. It
has everything to do with the weight and ergonomics of the camera, and
nothing to do with mirror slap.

I question the awe some have expressed at the technological wizardry of
the M7's metering system--a metering system that is at best mid-range
consumer in the SLR world.

Allan

>>> answer.