Subject: Re: [Leica] 0.85 v0.72 etc
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 01:50:27 -0700

Clive Sanbrook wrote:

> Many thanks to all who replied to my query about the different
> magnifications.
>
> Sadly ;-((((   having tried out diopters and a 0.72 mag v/f I have been
> seduced by a pristine s/h Nikon F5 (do I hear weeping and gnashing off
> teeth) and have done the dirty deed of selling my M6.
>
> Time will tell whether this was right for me (certainly when I took the F5
> out for a day in the mountains it seemed to become the first sunny and hot
> and clear day we've had this year) - poor old M6 has had to cope with
> various varieties of gloom so it's a good job Leica lenses are noted for
> full aperture quality ;-))
>
> Just thought I'd say thanks for your companionship and friendship  - even if
> it does deteriorate into the odd family spat at times.
>
> Regards and best wishes
>
> Sandy

Some day someones ones going to come on the LUG and say:
"Farewell All I'm trading my Leica M's in for Canon Eos's because I'm
bored with Leicas I've had them too long i don't like it when i have
things too long i get bored with them and photography's basically a
boring hobby but maybe those white lenses and micromotors will make it
more fun for me! Besides I've got all this money i have to find
something to do with it so i like to switch cameras a lot.
I'll wish that person a friendly good-by. They are not BS'ing me. I
appreciate that.

I've seen passive aggressive toxic posts but none approaches the mastery
of this one.
Under the guise of cheerfulness we get an lame anti M6 troll.

Me I find my very old Nikons which i used in the 70's and 80's to
somehow not have the magic of my current Leica M6's.
I can see though my Leica's better. They make the gloom go away better
than my old Nikons ever did. Maybe it's the hole in the ozone layer.
I still keep them for macro work for the time being and for sentimental
reasons and the simple fact that no one would give me enough money for
to justify in my mind having them changing hands. Anyway theeir MY
cameras i'm not about to let someone else play with them.

But as far as the diopters and the gloom goes: What does it take to
trade one system for another so cavalierly?
It takes money and a glib excuse and here a forum to glibly insult us
about it.
What the above post says to me is "Good-by you low tech suckers! I'm
having fun with my micromotors and i don't give a damn! So Scre*w you all!"

ANd I have to say the posters name does not even seem vaguely familiar.
Is this good-by post his first post to the lug?

I'd love to get one of these "good by I'm switching systems you've
failed me" posts by someone who has contributed meaningfully to the lug.
Instead of a lurker I've never heard of.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com

Replies: Reply from "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com> (Re: [Leica] 0.85 v0.72 etc)