Subject: Re : Re: [Leica] critique
From: "Bernard Degaute" <bernard.degaute@skynet.be>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 18:40:14 +0200

>Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 12:09:25 -0700
>From: "Ted Bayer" <tedbayer@harbornet.com>
>Subject: Re: [Leica] critique
>
>I like the picture very much for many of the reasons B.D. cited.  In
>addition, I thought Bernard's mentioned about seeing it b&w was
>interesting

I agree with B.D.'s comments too
In fact at first and quick sight I felt interested by the picture and the
light. I copied and opened Photo shop then converted into B/W and increased
the contrast by around 25% . Try yourself - I think that little manipulation
improves the pic and underlines the ideas of B.D. I think this pic is rather
nice composed and the frame naturally 'closes' the photo. According to
Salgado's printer it's important to close the pic, i.e. get the edges darker
than the main subject in the center - so he often burns a corner or an adge
to get the proper result.
I don't know if some of you remember a pic by Tina. It was the face of a
little girl, one in color (with nice mauve if I remember) and the other was
the same in B/W. Tina was asking the better. For me the better was the B/W
not because it was B/W but because a white area was cropped on the left
edge - so the pic was 'closed'. I don't have the pic anymore but maybe it's
still on Tina's site.
In Tom's picture (B/W) I really like the dark (fade to black) left edge and
all the grey scales in the building.

Just my 2 cents (and nowadays the euro is closer to $  :-))

Bernard

bernard.degaute@skynet.be