Subject: Re: [Leica] Shooting G8 Protesters?
From: Paul Chefurka <paul@chefurka.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 11:42:50 -0400

On Thu, 13 Jun 2002 16:36:45 -0600, "Greg J. Lorenzo"
<gregj.lorenzo@shaw.ca> wrote:

>As this year's G8 will be practically on my doorstep later this month
>I've been considering taking a camera and a couple of lens along to one
>or more of the expected protest rallies and shooting the going's on.
>
>Any suggestions from those with experience would be welcome.
>
>Things are pretty sedate here, no Napoleonic types, so I don't think
>there's much chance that anyone will be given " a whiff of grape". More
>likely to see police on horseback, bicycle and small displacement
>motorbikes for crowd control.
>
>Regards,
>
>Greg

I shot the G20 protests here in Ottawa last year.  Pics are on
http://www.chefurka.com under "Photo Essays".

Ted's right about the anarchists in black.  Their only reason to be there
is to make life miserable for everyone else.

That said, by and large the Ottawa protests were OK as long as you
exercised some caution and kept your situational awareness highly tuned.  I
only got nervous once or twice.  I didn't get gassed, peppered, drenched or
clubbed, because I stayed out of situations that looked dodgy.  The police
were by and large OK - firm but generally not too aggressive.  After the
black eye they got at APEC they're a bit more conscious of public
relations, and realize that beating on guys with cameras makes for bad
publicity.

I think your idea of taking the 12mm might be a bit of overkill, depending
on what kind of images you want to make.  I took a Tri-Elmar and a 90,
which seemed to cover the waterfront pretty well, but then I'm not an
ultra-wide shooter at all.

Have fun, and post those pics :-)

Paul