Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital Capture - Full Circle Back To Film
From: John Payne <jpphoto@hci.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 00:08:39 -0400

Hello all,
My reply seems to go against the overall opinion but I'll voice it anyway.
Keep in mind this comes from someone who make a living shooting 5-6 days per
week.  I own a studio in NC doing commercial, portrait, wedding.  I began
shooting digital 2 yrs ago easing nyself into this technology with a Nikon
D1.  I have been a Leica/Nikon/Hasselblad shooter since 1975 so I wanted to
go with something that felt familiar to mu nikons.  The D1 series certainly
do this very well.  Below are some of the benefits I find ,

Knowing as I shoot if lighting, exposure comp. is what I want.  Much more
fluid to use than polaroids and without the cost.
No heavier for all practical purposes than a F5.
It saves me several hundred dollars each week, at least $250, in film and
processing.
Working with models, the feedback on the monitor is tremendous in providing
confidence to the subject.
Yiewfinder is no problem on the D1 series.  I have not used a prosumer
camera.
Creativity!!  If I can imagine it, it is much easier to attain than in a
darkroom and once saved, I can repeat the print anytime.
The ability to create backups that are as good as the original.  Burning 2-3
CDs from a wedding is much more reassuring than only 1 set of negs.
Color/b/w/sepia/any more of dozens of interpretation from the same file.
Hauling less equipment to a shoot.
Lovely prints to 30x40 on an Epson 10,000.

Very few reasons to shoot film if I'm doing personal work or paid work.
Again, my experience is with SLR  bodies and price points are in the 2-3K
range now that can pay for themselves quickly.
Best regards,
John Payne