Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: C41 -- The new Supra films versus Royal Gold and Fuji???
From: Paul Chefurka <paul@chefurka.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2002 10:41:54 -0400

On Mon, 3 Jun 2002 08:45:48 -0400, "Sal DiMarco,Jr."
<sdmp007@pressroom.com> wrote:

>    Chris Williams wrote..."Supra ain't what Kodak says it is. It's grainy,
>not sharp, and not even close to the Fuji film line."
>
>Chris,
>    What Supra films are you using????? The Kodak Supra films I use show are
>very fine grained, tack sharp and have bright colors.
>     I'd check your processor....
>    Also, Supra is a Kodak Professional division product, and Royal Gold is
>a Consumer division product.

Well, I've stopped using the Supras entirely as well.

The problem I had with Supra 400 was grain aliasing with 4000 dpi scanners
- - both the Polaroid and the Nikon.  I ended up with shadows shot through
with brilliant pure red and green flecks that were impossible to eliminate
with any kind of levels adjustment.  The resulting scans were virtually
unusable.  Other than that, I liked the film, and got some very good
conventional prints from it.

I find Supra 800 to be rough, coarse, grainy and unsharp, even in chemical
prints.  Compared to Fuji Press 800 it's not even in the same ballpark.

Paul