Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica, medium format, and good enough
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2002 21:55:31 -0400

John, my point was that up to 11X14 the differences in image quality between
35mm and medium format is possibly not worth the effort.  Take the Mamiya 7
which is the closest to a Leica in size.  Is their anything like a 35 1.4
ASPH to take images in the shadows or plays or subways?  Framing a Leica
with a 90 APO is not bad but have you tried framing a Mamiya 7 with the 150?

 Now lets talk about lens speed, usually more than a two stop difference, I
can shoot 100 and you have to shoot 400 to keep up.  That's all well and
good in a studio but now lets go out at sunset to capture the good light.  I
can go to Provia 400F and you will do what?  Now you are talking assistants,
lights, reflectors, and what not to make it look like you were out in the
late evening.

Let's talk about hand holding, let's see, a 90 can be held at 1/60 usually
and your 150 needs 125 all hands being equal so now I have a three stop
advantage when the light goes bad.  A 24 can be held at about 1/15 and your
43 at 1/30.  The advantage still holds with small format.

Again, I was talking about image sizes to 11x14.  There is no question that
at larger sizes to hold image detail a larger film size is desirable.  It's
just that the uses for the larger sizes is such a small part of the market
that most work can be shot on a small format.

Also, I believe that I gave the advantage to medium and larger format when
swings and tilts were required or Art directors with egos come into play.

Before anyone gets huffy that I only know Leica I also own and use where
appropriate brand H and L in medium and larger format as well as a Fuji 690
which really is a Leica in medium format.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com