Subject: Re: [Leica] [Fwd: scanner]
From: S Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 01 Jun 2002 10:28:04 -0700

I'll take a scanner outfitted with a leica optic any day over a digital
R or M body, at least for now.
If I recall correctly, almost 90% of consumer enlargers are unused
and/or stored away.
A white light darkroom, as is already a reality, has probably made more
people come back to the practise of printing.
No reason for Leica not take advantage of an industry switch created by
the innovations in printer and scanner technologies.
A partnership with Epson, wouldn't that make sense?
Epson has already entered the neg. scanner market with their flat tops
through the back door, so to say.
I bet that other configurations aren't that far away.
As Leica has been a leading voice in past darkroom practise, why quit now.
I'd be very surprised if they don't have a working design somewhere
being applied industrially.
A lens cells refitting in a mount to suite current scanners wouldn't
take that much.
Slobodan Dimitrov