Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica lenses and filter use?
From: "Martin Howard" <marho@ikp.liu.se>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 18:20:31 +0200

Oh dear.  I guess Albert doesn't know what a can of worms he just opened.
If we kill this quickly, maybe we can survive unhurt this time...

> 1) If I buy a Leica lens with a dented filter rings, how much would it cost
> to straighten it out to install a filter?

More than the rebate you get for it being dented.

> Would it be fairly complicated?

Ever tried straightening out a toilet roll core after it's been crumpled up?

> 2) I was wondering whether a filter on a Leica lens can "degrade" the lens
> resolution and image and increase vignetting.

Don't ask.

> 3) Do you use a filter on your Leica lenses all of the time, some of the
> time, or never! If not at all, I guess that you keep the cap on in that
> case?

All of the above.

> 4) I know that a UV filter can increase flare but in most cases the hood has
> been totally helpful in that respect. Unless you're a sour Noctilux fan
> here.

See question 2.

> 5) Which filter brands do you recommend? Or experienced? Or hated? Or
> disrecommend?

See question 2.

M.

- --
Martin Howard                 | "Once you understand the process of co-
PhD student, HMI Grad. Schl   | ordination, it's much easier to avoid.
email: marho@ikp.liu.se       | Knowledge is power."  -- K. Christoffersen.